Disarming ranged weapons

This forum is to critically discuss and play-test Ganesha Games products, prior to release.
By accessing this forum you are agreeing that you will not discuss anything relating to unreleased Ganesha Games products, prior to general release. Nor will you share print-at-home resources that have been made available for testing.

Moderators: Andrea Sfiligoi, Neuroranger, Game Designers

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Disarming ranged weapons

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:02 am

Should a model with a disarming ability be allowed to disarm shooters? I can see the point of breaking an opponent's bow or knocking his throwing spear/javelin off his hands.

Jcrozier

Re: Disarming ranged weapons

Unread postby Jcrozier » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 am

If it's in close combat, I'd say that this should only be allowed once the opponent has lost his melee weapon. A bow might be tucked away in a bow case or on the fighter's back, and while the attacker could cut the straps or whatever, he'd be unlikely to attempt this until he'd got rid of the opponent's sword.

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:57 am

what about a javelineer charged in combat? Say a guy who is holding a bunch of javelins in his left hand and one to throw in his right hand. Disarmer wins his roll and -what happens? Does the javelineer lose the current javelin or does he drop the whole bunch?

Remember that a missile-armed model can shoot again as soon as a Recoil result comes up if the foe chooses not to follow up.

Jcrozier

Unread postby Jcrozier » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Hmm ... I can see a clash between game-able abstraction and realism here. It's a difficult one.

I'd still be tempted to rule that only a close-combat weapon is lost. But that does open another can of worms in situations where the throwing weapons can also be used in close combat - as with your javelineer.

And there's another thing too. Say you've got a warrior armed with spear and shield who also has a sword at his side. Shouldn't he be able to sweep out the sword rather than have to run to where the spear fell? For that, I'd be tempted to rule that a model that is visibly armed with an additional weapon can draw it to lose the disarmed penalty at the cost of one action. That's not "fair" of course, but it'd be aesthetically satisfying.

Given that, I'd probably say that a warrior armed with several throwing axes or javelins can "rearm" at a cost of one action while still in close combat, just like the spear-armed warrior above. He doesn't need to spend the action when not in close combat, as he can revert to his smooth drawing/throwing action (which won't help him in melee). And the same goes for (say) a sword-armed man who also has some javelins.

It's a bit of a fudge, though!

Jcrozier

Unread postby Jcrozier » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:29 pm

And it also goes against the "knife in boot/reinforced bow" principle of SBH.

Return to “Fightin' Fungi Playtest”