Unarmed models

This forum is to critically discuss and play-test Ganesha Games products, prior to release.
By accessing this forum you are agreeing that you will not discuss anything relating to unreleased Ganesha Games products, prior to general release. Nor will you share print-at-home resources that have been made available for testing.

Moderators: Andrea Sfiligoi, Neuroranger, Game Designers

Jcrozier

Re: Unarmed models

Unread postby Jcrozier » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:58 am

Marc, I've been presuming that the rule covers things like sword-breakers and trident daggers/sword-catchers, as well as special techniques. I might be entirely wrong though!

Looking at the rule as it's written, I think it already assumes a common-sense/sculptural-advantage approach. Say you have two beastmen, one with natural weapons (horns, claws, a mace tail, whatever) and the other with an axe. Their profiles are identical, but the first one can't be disarmed and the second one can - simply because of the way the models are sculpted. I think that's fine - and I see a model having to spend an action to draw a sword instead of potentially spending two and risking a free hack to retrieve his main weapon as a similar thing.

I had a quick glance at the miniatures I've been painting up in recent months, and the great majority have only a main weapon. The exceptions are mainly historical figures - knights and so on (I bought a box of the fantastic Perry foot knights some months ago). Interestingly enough (to me at least ;)), the historical figures tend to be armed with a "trait" weapon and a normal one. So, many of the knights have poleaxes or lucerne hammers (both Piercing Weapons) as well as swords. Similarly, a lot of medieval footsoldiers are depicted with a spear or bill (Long Reach!) as well as a sword.

Given that, and given the rarity of the likely occurrence in the game, I think a "use common sense based on the miniature" is fine. I think it will also create interesting tactical choices. If your knight has just been disarmed, do you risk a free hack to go for his Piercing/Heavy Weapon, or does he just fight on with his sword (forfeiting an action and with a reduced chance of a kill thereafter as a result). In certain circumstances, the free hack might be the only hope of success.

Marc Gacy

Unread postby Marc Gacy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:17 pm

My point was simply that the rule stated that the figure must have a shield, hence my confusion.
I *thought* that the only way to disarm someone in FiFu is to have a model that physically has a shield, but I now see that Butterfly Parry is a non-shield disarm.
I think there might be a typo though.

The character with the Butterfly Parry
ability may retrain [retain? or gain?] control of the
weapon or throw it up to 1 x Short
away. Magic weapons, free hacks and
attacks from non-bladed weapons
are unaffected by Butterfly Parry.

On another point historical figures probably have swords because they use them instead of their big ungainly pikes when someone gets inside their reach!

Jcrozier

Unread postby Jcrozier » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Yes: that for the ordinary infantry and swords as a status symbol for the knights (for whom the poleaxe was the primary "can opener"). Apparently, fully armoured knights didn't tend to use shields at all by the fifteenth century (when fighting on foot), given the protection afforded by plate and the need to use two hands with the poleaxe.

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:40 am

Disarming Block: the idea was actually not a shield but a sai or left hand dagger used to disarm, or a buckler used to punch away the opponent's weapon. I might just remove the "needs a shield" part of the rule.

Marc Gacy

Unread postby Marc Gacy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:21 pm

Andrea Sfiligoi wrote:Disarming Block: the idea was actually not a shield but a sai or left hand dagger used to disarm, or a buckler used to punch away the opponent's weapon. I might just remove the "needs a shield" part of the rule.

That would clear it up for me. Sorry to be so difficult!

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Actually I had removed it already from the rules. I've been unable to concentrate due to flu this week, but as soon as I feel better I will send you guys an updated PDF

Return to “Fightin' Fungi Playtest”