Block and concentrated fire

This forum is to critically discuss and play-test Ganesha Games products, prior to release.
By accessing this forum you are agreeing that you will not discuss anything relating to unreleased Ganesha Games products, prior to general release. Nor will you share print-at-home resources that have been made available for testing.

Moderators: Andrea Sfiligoi, Neuroranger, Game Designers

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Block and concentrated fire

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Should block/expert block work vs concentrated fire? As high CF could possibly cause a gruesome kill and block would not protect from that, it creates an interesting dynamic. But I find it hard to visualize the character sweeping away all the enemy arrows with one swipe of his shield.
What do you say?

Jcrozier

Re: Block and concentrated fire

Unread postby Jcrozier » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:59 pm

Rather than using Block as it works against a single shot, what about Block negating one minus and Expert Block negating two? So if five archers fire at a figure with Expert Block, the modifier is only -2 rather than -4. That would give the shield-equipped character a greater chance of survival, but wouldn't (in most cases) rule out the chance of death.

And then, if the character rolls well, one can infer that he did indeed sweep all the arrows away. And if he rolls badly, some or all of them got through.

Marc Gacy

Unread postby Marc Gacy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Could you simply add being subject to concentrated fire for the poorer roll condition (surrounded/fallen)?
"or on a 6 if the model is surrounded by 3+ foes, subjected to concentrated fire and/or knocked down."

andyskinner

Unread postby andyskinner » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:04 pm

As much as a like having archery in a fantasy game, and regularly use Unerring Aim for most archers to make it fit my expectations better, I feel concentrated fire changes things in a way I don't like. I'd rather have lots of chances to get lucky than increase my chances enough to expect to kill something that would otherwise be hard to take down. (I don't feel this way for melee outnumbering.)

I can just not use concentrated fire, but I assume traits take it into account for cost. Ever thought of having a trait for figures that can't join a concentrated fire shot? I don't feel archers are underpowered for their points, but I pay to increase them (standard Unerring Aim). Having it figured in points makes it more even with folks who don't feel the same way.

andy

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:46 am

Concentrated fire was added to the game to bring shooting on the same level as melee outnumbering. It has larger penalties and is generally more difficult to do (you can't do Conc Fire without a leader issuing an order, you use the worst modifier in the group etc) while outnumbering in melee always works. So Conc fire is much less cost-effective than melee outnumbering.

So you think of a rule like:
Maverick Shooter: the figure may not take part in concentrated fire (-1 point). Only figures with ranged attacks may take this trait. Only warbands with a Leader may have figures with the Maverick Shooter trait.

andyskinner

Unread postby andyskinner » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:13 pm

If this were a rule, I might make my "standard" archer rule include Unerring Aim (because I like the mods better) and Maverick Shooter, because concentrated fire just doesn't feel right to me in this scale game.

andy

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Andy, just say that all range penalties are halved and group shooting is not allowed in your games, and you are all set.

Return to “Fightin' Fungi Playtest”