Fungus King: Unbalanced

This forum is to critically discuss and play-test Ganesha Games products, prior to release.
By accessing this forum you are agreeing that you will not discuss anything relating to unreleased Ganesha Games products, prior to general release. Nor will you share print-at-home resources that have been made available for testing.

Moderators: Andrea Sfiligoi, Neuroranger, Game Designers

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Fungus King: Unbalanced

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Fungus King - Personality
Big, Bludgeon, Leader, Short Move, Tough

What do you say? Is it unplayable?
I see it as a strong, near invulnerable, but slow figure - very hard to bring down but also quite ineffective when speed is needed.

Jcrozier

Re: Fungus King: Unbalanced

Unread postby Jcrozier » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:28 pm

I think it should work fine. The fact that it has the Leader trait adds considerable balance in its own right. Low-quality leaders are intrinsically risky: you want to activate them early to manoeuvre so that their influence is where it should be on the table, as well as to issue group orders. But Q4 means that you'll often roll reactions/turnovers. Short Move compounds that (his followers will often get away from him). And while Tough is a very powerful trait, it's not overwhelming (especially when combined with Q4 and Short Move).

I don't think C5 is a massive balance problem either. The mounted lizardman that we've played in our recent games has the following profile: Dinosaur Rider, Q3, C4, Mounted, Long Move, Dashing, Trample. I'd say that it's a more powerful profile: he's effectively C5 against infantry and can often enjoy two attacks in a single round from either Dashing or Trample. But he hasn't unbalanced our games and has been killed off early on in the last two. The Fungus King will take a lot more killing, but won't be charging around with Long Move, Dashing and Trample either. And a C5 Fungus King who's surrounded by a five-strong goblin gang is effectively fighting at C1 vs C2 - or C1 vs C4 if he's knocked down.

The new Tough rule disadvantages the Fungus King less than the old SBH one, though; under the SBH rules, Q4 Tough Behemoths can soon become very occasional contributors to the battle.

My son had demanded many games of SBH over the Easter holidays, so we'll try out this profile with some sort of troll-king or something.

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:32 pm

Big gives him a +1 in melee so he is effectively a melee 6 figure. But it is easy to hit with missiles and overall slow . I imagine it used more as as an unkillable +1 activation bonus than as a leader issuing orders.

Jcrozier

Unread postby Jcrozier » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Ah, yes - I missed Big when I skimmed the profile.

I'd guess that his followers are going to spend a lot of time waiting for him to catch up - which makes them vulnerable to missile fire in the meantime.

Do you plan on including any Big options in the humanoid rosters?

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:05 pm

I could add a troll in the goblins roster. Possibly a treeman in the wood elves. Humans can take from another roster so they could use either.

Jcrozier

Unread postby Jcrozier » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:21 pm

I think that would be great, just to add variety (visual as well as tactical).

Well, we had a quick post-prandial game to exploit school-holiday bedtimes and test out the Fungus King. In the absence of mushroom men, we made him the Ogre King with the same stats (and bad knees to explain the Short Move). His warband was as follows:

Ogre King; 90 points; Q4; C5 (personality); Big, Bludgeon, Leader, Short Move, Tough
Orc hero; 76 points; Q3; C4 (personality); Savage, Hero
Orc guard; 35 points; Q4; C4; Heavily Armoured, Short Move
Orc guard; 35 points; Q4; C4; Heavily Armoured, Short Move
Orc wolfrider; 51 points; Q4; C3; Greedy, Long Move, Mounted, Short Bow
Orc wolfrider; 51 points; Q4; C3; Greedy, Long Move, Mounted, Short Bow
Goblin archer; 27 points; Q4; C2; Poison, Short Bow
Goblin archer; 27 points; Q4; C2; Poison, Short Bow

Total points: 392

Facing him were the usual reptilian suspects. There was a request for the tyrannosaurus, but I urged against it, as I thought that would cancel out the effect of the Fungus King. I managed to buy agreement by upgrading the snakeman to a Legendary Shot.

Snakeman bow master; 76 points; Q3; C3 (personality); Legendary Shot, Poison, Shooter: Long
Dinosaur rider;104 points; Q3; C4; (personality); Dashing, Long Move, Mounted, Tailslap, Trample
Lizardman; 52 points; Q3; C4; Amphibious, Tailslap

Total points: 388

Our game was a straight-up skirmish on a table with ruins in the middle, a hill and forest flanking the side where the lizards deployed, and scattered trees and ruined walls on the Fungus/Ogre King's side.

The Ogre King began with two successes from three, allowing him to advance and give a group activation to the wolf riders, who sped up the left flank, shielded by the walls of the ruins. They succeed in tying up the lizardmen infantry and the snakeman for a while, but the dinosaur rider made a rapid advance down the opposite flank. The orc hero was advancing to meet him when a reaction allowed the rider to plough in to combat. He drove the orc back, but following up brought the rider closer to the shuffling Ogre King and one of his heavily armoured orc guards. The other guard and the goblin archers languished at the back for a turn but then began to move to support the wolfriders, who had traded shots with the snakeman but were increasingly swamped by the reptile infantry. One wolfrider was swiftly killed while the other was beset on all sides by the relentless lizardmen.

Meanwhile, the Ogre King and his guard had joined the fray against the dinosaur rider just as the orc hero succeeded in knocking the reptile down. This afforded the Ogre King a Lethal attack at +8 vs +2. The rider and his mount were swiftly dispatched to whatever reptilian Valhalla would have them.

On the other side of the table, the second wolfrider was killed, gruesomely, by a mob of four lizardmen. The goblin archer who had been coming to the wolfrider's rescue took fright and to his heels; the other archer and orc guard fell back. The orc hero advanced towards the snakeman, but the snakeman knocked him down with a power blow. The initiative swung back to the Ogre King's side, but as the orc tried to stand up, he rolled a failure; the snakeman reacted, attacked and rolled a natural six to the orc hero's one: 11 to 5, Lethal, and by dint of the orc's prone status, a gruesome kill. In their panic, the Ogre King and his orc guard lurched towards the edge of the battlefield. In the meantime, the lizardmen fell upon the surviving goblin archer and tore him to pieces. That prompted a second morale test for loss of more than half the warband; both the Ogre King and his guard fled the table. The day belonged to the lizardmen, but the last remaining orc guard decided to make a last stand. He had a bit of back and forth with a brace of lizardmen, but was eventually brought to his knee and to his grave.

So, the Fungus King profile certainly didn't unbalance the game. He did take out the heaviest hitter on the other side with ease, but if you can avoid him and concentrate your onslaught on his followers, he's vulnerable to morale tests (even Short Move gets you close to the table edge surprisingly quickly when you're only Q4). If he's lodged in combat early on, then he's going to take a lot of taking down, but even then, whittling down his followers should eventually break his nerve.

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:00 am

Excellent, thank you. On a similar vein, i will be adding a half-giant mercenary to the humans roster.

Return to “Fightin' Fungi Playtest”