New Trait: Gang (3 points on the builder)

This forum is to critically discuss and play-test Ganesha Games products, prior to release.
By accessing this forum you are agreeing that you will not discuss anything relating to unreleased Ganesha Games products, prior to general release. Nor will you share print-at-home resources that have been made available for testing.

Moderators: Andrea Sfiligoi, Neuroranger, Game Designers

Jcrozier

Re: New Trait: Gang (3 points on the builder)

Unread postby Jcrozier » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:47 pm

We tried out the Gang rule last night, with a couple of gangs of night goblins. It worked very nicely and made good "visual sense", as the two groups huddled together as they moved across the tabletop. One gang had the Shortbow trait and the other had Long Reach (spears). The latter group made short work of a lesser lizardman (C2), as the combination of Long Reach and Gang allowed them to swamp him easily. The other group were ineffectual in firing at some skeletons guarding a tomb (who were on neither side but attacked treasure-seeking intruders), given the Undead rule, but did better when I moved my leader up to order them to use Concentrated Fire.

A couple of questions: do the Gang members have to be in base-to-base contact throughout? Or can they operate on a looser footing? And if scattered, can they do a Regroup activation?

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:00 pm

they need to be in Base to base. if they are not in base to base, they need to use Regroup to become a Unit.

Jcrozier

Unread postby Jcrozier » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:11 pm

That makes sense; it's how we played it yesterday. Just for clarity: can they do a Regroup without a leader to move into base to base, or would that have to be a conventional group activation? Thanks!

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Yes they can do a regroup without a Leader.

Jcrozier

Unread postby Jcrozier » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:39 am

Another clarification question: can all a warband's models with the Gang trait activate together in any combination of five, or do they have to form part of specific gangs from the start? Common sense might dictate that your kobolds and goblins won't be members of the same gang, but if you have kobolds that start off in two groups (archers and swordsmen, say), can they recombine during the game to form mixed groups?

As an aside, the 1/72 angle for diminutive rabble-type troops looks like a rich seam. I discovered today that Caesar Miniatures now makes lizardmen and ratmen in 1/72 scale. A visit to the local model shop yielded a pack of the rats, and I've ordered the lizards. The ratmen are pretty good (and paint up nicely); I see a role for them as Ratmen Vermin: Q4, C1, Gang, Gregarious, Rabble. And the lizards, who look a little burlier, might be Geckomen: Q3, C2, Clinging.
Last edited by Jcrozier on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:22 am

I did the same with 1/72 Caesar orcs and goblins.

I think all models with the gang ability can group up. In specific scenarios you might want to treat them as separate entities (for example two rival goblin clans asked to cooperate) but as a general rule if you paid the points for gang trait you should be allowed to use it. You use the lowest Q in the bunch just like any group activation.

Return to “Fightin' Fungi Playtest”