Dashing

This forum is to critically discuss and play-test Ganesha Games products, prior to release.
By accessing this forum you are agreeing that you will not discuss anything relating to unreleased Ganesha Games products, prior to general release. Nor will you share print-at-home resources that have been made available for testing.

Moderators: Andrea Sfiligoi, Neuroranger, Game Designers

Topic author
Abyssal Goblin

Dashing

Unread postby Abyssal Goblin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:47 pm

In FiFu:
Dashing reads: "...model receives a free action when coming into melee contact with an enemy..."
Combat Master reads: "...A Combat Master enjoys the +1 from Dashing only on his first attack..."

In SoBH:
Dashing reads: "...model receives +1 to his Combat if attacks in same turn he comes in contact with enemy..."
Combat Master reads: same as FiFu "...+1 to Combat on first attack only..."

Dashing seems different in FiFu, yet Combat Master shows the typical +1 to Combat like Dashing was in original SoBH.

Longshanx

Re: Dashing

Unread postby Longshanx » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:12 am

I like dashing more in FiFu, it gives you a free action - but only to make a powerfull attack. Also, this action may be used to make an attack when spending the last action to engage the enemy. In my pow, it can be used to represent a thrusting spear, a fierce character, shock cavalry.... the options are limitless :)

Topic author
Abyssal Goblin

Unread postby Abyssal Goblin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:25 am

It makes sense to me as well. I just want clarification. Since Combat Master indicates the old way of +1 C on the first attack, it needs to show the new Dashing or perhaps the new Dashing was meant to be a different trait?

Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:54 am

Dashing will be changed in SBH too at some point - the version that gives you a free action to attack works better. I will correct the text in FiFu

Topic author
Abyssal Goblin

Unread postby Abyssal Goblin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:36 am

The free action to attack makes more sense, basically the equivalent of a 'charge' in other tabletop games.

Marc Gacy

Unread postby Marc Gacy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:16 pm

I always though of Dashing as the "polearm" ability, although I think it should apply if you are attacking or being attacked (it's not good to charge a guy with a spear)

Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Marc, the Dashing was meant to represent an impetuous charge , so it is more of a "lance" ability than a Polearm. A polearm could be represented by Long Reach but the effect you mention is probably too complicated for a quick fantasy game (I know... I've been struggling with polearms for 2 years in Song of Spear and Shield).

andyskinner

Unread postby andyskinner » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:49 pm

Any chance we could have both (in separate traits)? I like the sound of the new Dashing, now that it has been pointed out. But I like the old one, too. Was it unbalanced, or is this one just more interesting? If the latter, why not invent a new trait, either for the old Dashing or the new?

andy

Andrea Sfiligoi
Ganesha Games
Ganesha Games

Unread postby Andrea Sfiligoi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:58 am

Not unbalanced, we just thought that the new version is easier to use. The bonus it gives is the same.

Longshanx

Re: Dashing and Polearms

Unread postby Longshanx » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:44 pm

I used to represent polearms by Dashing in SoBH too, then I tried using Tailslap instead (with worse results, of course), then I used my own rule "if won attack in melee, C+2 and then recalculate", now I give them Heavy Weapon (and maybe I'll add some limited form of Long Weapon to it too).

And btw., C+1 is not the same as enemy's C-1, is it? ;)

Return to “Fightin' Fungi Playtest”